In 1982, Tolland County's first broadcast station, WRTT, came on the air with a daytime only signal of 1,000 watts on 1170 khz. The station's studios were on Park St in Rockville and the 2-tower transmitter site was on Penfield Drive in Ellington. Ed Perry was the owner. The call letters stood for "Radio Tri-Town."
Financial difficulties forced the station to go dark in 1984.
The station was purchased by Family Radio in 1985 for $136,000 with the transaction finalized in January 1986 and it returned to the air in early '87 as WCTF with the studio still on Park St. Family Radio received special permission from the FCC to originate nearly 100% of the WCTF programming at their Oakland, CA facility. The audio was fed to WCTF via satellite although several hours of local public affairs shows are aired from the Ellington facility.
In 1998 the studios were moved to the transmitter site in Ellington.
Hartford Radio History
Copyright © 2022 Hartford Radio History - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy